Sunday, February 3, 2008

Thyme For Cooking and Synesthesia

I needed a turquoise folder for February because, well, 'February' is turquoise, isn't it?

I mean, everyone knows that, don't they?

Just like August is orange and September is brown.

All of my files are colored (but not labeled) and I can always find what I want: by the color.

I have synesthesia.

Don't tell me you've never heard of it!?! Really? No?

I hadn't either until a few years ago. I was reading an article in 'Discover' magazine that started out by saying that Sunday was black. How ridiculous, I thought... Sunday is red. Monday is black...well, more of a charcoal...

The article was on synesthesia... and, as I discovered, I have it.

I see words that refer to time: months, days of the week, hours of the day (3:00 is pink) in color. I also see time in shapes but that's much harder to describe.

Some people see letters in color, some whole words, some numbers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; some all of the above.

Others can taste music.

Sensory perception is, just slightly, askew.

The thing that I found most amazing, in reading that first article about synesthesia, is that not everyone has it, and those who do, often don't know it has a name. Most people who have this 'neurological condition' view it as a gift: from minor, like mine: to something wonderfully big and marvelous; producing art or music.

It doesn't effect a large part of the population; about 1 in 23.

How is your world colored?

Thyme For Cooking, the Blog: Pork with Herbs and Shallot Confit, and Synesthesia







*

No comments:

cosmic giggles ♠♫☼↕♦

Blog Archive

slÖ's Fan Box

slÖ on Facebook

About Me

My photo
tis ammeliet 11en tw11en... ne kikker in e vliegmasjing +xÕx+

••þþ○▬